Lockheed Martin Launch Tech - Mech - Test Base in Santa Maria, California
IAM Hourly represented employees who currently work at the main (Sunnyvale/Palo Alto) unit, Santa Cruz, VAFB or Eastern Range facilities cannot apply for this position through the on-line career network system. If you are a current hourly employee and you want to be considered for this position you must submit a valid placement card request to labor relations.
At Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company (SSC), we are driven by innovation and integrity. We believe that by applying the highest standards of business ethics and visionary thinking, everything is within our reach – and yours as a Lockheed Martin employee. Lockheed Martin values your skills, training, and education. Come and experience your future!
The GFES Program (Ground & Flight Engineering Solutions) performs launch processing operations, flight systems assembly integration & test (AI&T) as well as ground support equipment operations & maintenance (O&M). The primary operating locations are Santa Maria, CA, Vandenberg AFB, CA and Sunnyvale, CA.
The GFES Program in Santa Maria, CA seeks an experienced Mechanical Launch Technician perform mechanical systems assembly & test and operations and maintenance (O&M) of ground support equipment (GSE).
This position will support satellite launch processing, ground support equipment O&M, clean room operations, and satellite assembly work including overhead crane operation, forklift use, torque wrench & hand tools, working on elevated platforms (scaffolding, personnel aerial lift devises and ladders). Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assemble and set up equipment following engineering instructions and production illustrations such as manufacturer’s specifications, service manuals and bulletins, or other engineering-approved technical data or oral instructions.
• Perform functional checks, and assist in set up of mechanical assemblies such as lifting equipment, rigging, hydraulics, pneumatic equipment, compressed gas and propellant systems and accessories. These duties may be performed under the direction of another technician.
• Following engineer’s or technician’s instructions, perform functional test, operate, maintain, troubleshoot, repair and test mechanical support equipment.
• Install and remove flight components such as panels, fixtures, blankets, optics, sensors and tooling. Operate support equipment necessary for satellite AI&T and satellite launch operations.
• Performs mechanical operations necessary for the installation, troubleshooting, repair, maintenance, dismantling and disassembly directly related to the above systems. May be required to perform routine maintenance and upkeep for the prevention of corrosion.
• Work with or assist engineers & technicians in other fields of specialization by performing hands-on operations of the level of difficulty described herein.
Travel will be required.
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Basic Qualifications • Must have experience working on (assembly, test, hoisting/handling, launch processing) space flight hardware (missiles, booster and/or spacecraft)
• Possess a working knowledge of mechanical and electro-mechanical systems used on missiles or space vehicles and possess a knowledge of shop theory and practices
• Knowledge of safety regulations necessary to prepare flight vehicle and AGE mechanical and electro-mechanical systems and equipment for test/launch purposes
• Possess a knowledge of working characteristics of materials used on ground support equipment and flight vehicles
• Ability to work at various heights on articulating lift or scissor lift, elevated platforms, gantries, service towers, high lifts, etc.
• Must possess the ability to climb stairs & ladders and ability to work in confined areas
• Must be willing to travel (primarily to Sunnyvale, CA)
• Ability to lift 25 lbs
• Must be a United States citizen
Desired skills • Desire two years of formal technical training beyond high school (e.g. an Associate degree in a technical field such as hydraulics, aircraft maintenance, aircraft operations, missile mechanics or Airframe & Powerplant license.
• Good communication skills (verbal and written)
• Experience with liquid rocket propellant transfer, sampling, pressurization
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Location(s): Santa Maria California