Lockheed Martin Optical Engineer Senior in Bothell, Washington
Description: Lockheed Martin’s Laser Systems and Sensors Business is seeking an Optical Engineer and true Laser enthusiast to join our team. The successful candidate will work with and lead teams in the Integration and Test of innovative laser based systems that are field deployable in military and commercial environments. This team has a history of groundbreaking accomplishments and world-record system performance – come join the journey!
The Optical Engineer will work in an exciting environment where innovation and problem solving are a part of our culture. The work will include the build, integration, assembly, and test of our laser systems for deployment in military environments. Due to the variety of the work, the candidate will need a flexible and adaptable skill set, with a strong learning and troubleshooting orientation. Our Optical Engineer will:
Responsibilities of the position include:
• Apply technical knowledge to develop solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
• Engage in troubleshooting optical systems including electronics.
• Plans, implements, tests, documents, and maintains solutions for the integration and testing of in-house developed laser subsystems and/or systems.
• Leverages technical expertise with lessons learned from testing activities to provide improvements to the design teams for product line improvements.
• Synthesizes customer contractual needs and requirements into system test solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule and cost constraints.
• Writes discrepancy reports and performs integration regression testing to verify/validate incorporated fixes to software, components, subsystems and systems.
• Assist in the development of white papers, proposals, and presentations.
• Collaborate extensively local teammates and may also correspond and share best practices with teams from other groups across Lockheed Martin.
• Mentor and help to develop skills of less experienced members of our team.
Keeping current on developments in the Laser Industry will be very important in this role. We offer a continuous learning environment with strong career growth and advancement opportunities.
Security Clearance Requirements: Applicants selected may be subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
The Locale: Bothell is a city located in the state of Washington in the Pacific Northwest. It is part of the Seattle metropolitan area. Bothell is home to Cascadia Community College and the University of Washington, Bothell.
• Build and operate laser amplifier technology.
• Conduct laser and optical analysis using fundamental physics and engineering principles.
• Experience developing and implementing test methods and equipment. Experience compiling data and defining changes required in testing equipment, testing procedures, or new testing requirements.
• Analyze data to identify design elements that improve and drive laser development and design.
• Demonstrated technical expertise in one or more optical subject matter areas, and has knowledge of other related disciplines.
• Design and conduct optical lab experiments.
• Self-starter excels in a team environment
• Minimum of a Masters degree required, PhD preferred
• Degree in Physics, Optics or closely related technical field.
• Experience designing, developing, or testing laser systems from concept through sustained production.
• Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with other organizations, all levels of management, professional and support staff, customers, potential customers, and government representatives.
• Optical modeling skills with analysis as tools such as ZEMAX, FRED and/or LasCAD.
• Experience writing LabView code
• Experience with Linux/Unix base operating systems
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.