Lockheed Martin Lead Data Scientist Senior in Grand Prairie, Texas
Description: The stated position will support data science (understand business challenges, how data is associated with business processes, characteristics of data and its application in solving business challenges by building ML models) needs of $10B business area (Missiles & Fire Control) within Lockheed Martin that is growing very rapidly. Data Science efforts are key to Lockheed Martin’s top transformation initiative to become a data-driven company and leveraging advanced analytics capabilities across the various functional areas at MFC. This position is a Technology Leader role, reporting through Enterprise IT (EIT) and partners with Missiles & Fire Control IT organization.
• As Data Science Lead, the successful candidate for this position will be responsible for implementation and sustainment of data science solutions for MFC business by collaborating with business analysts, other data analysts to identify data subjects relevant to provide insights, solve business problems, gather and refine data, build effective ML models.
• The Data Science Lead is expected to demonstrate their superior and distinct competency in understanding intricacies of business processes and data, ability to bridge that knowledge to their technical competency in building machine learning models systematically and methodically.
• The Data Science Lead will be responsible for designing and implementing advanced analytical solutions for the organization. Projects will be fast paced with extremely tight deadlines. The Data Science lead will be the primary person responsible for ensuring the data analytics team delivers sound analytical results on time. Project teams will be comprised of cross functional members for MFC business and across Lockheed Martin.
• Collaborate with business leads across the company to plan and execute valuable data science projects. Engage with key stakeholders in the business and on product and software teams to clearly understand and scope analytical requests.
• Lead your team in design sessions and ensure your team delivers high quality work that aligns with Lockheed Martin’s data analytics strategy.
• Test and learn to influence and drive the creation of new methods and best practices in the use of statistical data modeling and machine learning techniques in a big data environment to build these advanced analytics capabilities for many functions in Lockheed Martin’s business operations.
• Mine, analyze, and model large structured and unstructured datasets, and apply advanced statistical predictive models and machine learning algorithms to create actionable business metrics or solve business questions.
• Lead data analysis, synthesize results, and develop and present strategic recommendations for the executive leadership and program teams that inspire action.
This role requires a bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems or a related study. Ph.D. or master’s degree in Data Science, Data Management Design Principles, Applied Mathematics Systems preferred.
• 10+ years’ experience in Data Analysis & Data Science in diverse technology contexts with depth in data & information architectures - structured and unstructured preferably in Aerospace & Defense or in large manufacturing industries for descriptive/diagnostic and predictive, prescriptive analytical needs.
• A strong history working throughout the complete lifecycle (from idea to execution) for machine learning in Python, R etc. This would include parametric and non-parametric modeling for supervised and unsupervised solutions.
• A strong understanding in the different ML techniques and variable reduction approaches as well as parameter and hyper-parameter tuning.
• Strong coding skills are paramount here. You will need the ability to script and program to mine data, automate tasks, etc. (e.g. using Python, Shell Scripting etc.).
• A history of successful model integrations, deployments, and training for end users. Experience working with Domino Data Lab, GitHub is a plus.
• Strong experience with data munging in SQL and NoSQL environments for both structured and unstructured data.
• Experience working with RDBMS and distributed technologies (e.g. Spark, MapReduce, Hive, or Pig).
• Experience sourcing and merging additional external sources of data.
• A history of leading junior team members. This position can have junior team members added as our scope expands.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong relationship building skills to influences non-technical audience including senior product and business management.
• Advanced experience building cloud scalable, real time and high-performance data lake solutions leveraging AWS, EMR, S3, Hive & Spark
Required Knowledge and Skills
• Design and build reusable components, frameworks and libraries at scale to support analytics products
• Design and implement product features in collaboration with Business and Technology stakeholders
• Anticipate, identify and solve issues concerning data management to improve data quality
• Clean, prepare and optimize data at scale for ingestion and consumption
• Drive the implementation of new data management projects and re-structure of the current data architecture
• Implement complex automated workflows and routines using workflow scheduling tools
• Build continuous integration, test-driven development and production deployment frameworks
• Drive collaborative reviews of design, code, test plans and dataset implementation performed by other data engineers in support of maintaining data engineering standards
• Analyze and profile data for designing scalable solutions
• Troubleshoot complex data issues and perform root cause analysis to proactively resolve product and operational issues
• Mentor and develop other data engineers in adopting best practices
• Experience in working with data integration and data warehousing solutions preferably in an SAP ecosystem.
• Skilled in business domain modeling and logical and physical relational data modeling/design using SAP tools and other emerging tools (such as Tableau) for self-service analytics needs
• Ability to do Data Asset Discovery, Data Profiling to ascertain delivery of high-quality data through data governance.
• Skilled in data analysis and facilitation, i.e., able to produce data designs using a variety of inputs such as requirements analysis, SME interviews, business process and data flow analysis, data profiling, etc.
• Persuasive in influencing strategic architecture direction, framing reference architectures, specifying policies and standards, drive consensus on target state architectures, and influence roadmaps.
• Experience with SAP ECC, SAP HANA, Microsoft SQL Server, as well as familiarity with ETL tools (SAP SLT, DSAP Data Services) and data profiling processes/tools.
• Knowledgeable about Business Intelligence/analytics tools and their appropriate use in solutions for diverse business requirements with clarity in understanding business needs around ‘running the business vs managing the business’.
• Prior experience in working with community of data scientists to understand their data needs, data utilization in advanced analytical use cases.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.