Lockheed Martin Data Scientist -- Machine Learning / Artif Intel in Herndon, Virginia
Description: The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to craft, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Our culture inspires employees to dream big, perform with perfection and build incredible products. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus and if you have the passion and courage to dream big, we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
As a Data Scientist with Lockheed Martin, you will perform research and analysis to identify novel and meaningful patterns in data and uses statistical methods to reject or accept proposed hypotheses about relationships or latent predictive factors discovered through their work to provide business value. This role uses a combination of tools, technologies, and numerical computing systems (i.e.: GPU processing, distributed computing, highly parallel coding, cloud computing, machine learning, visualization, system modelling and simulation) to achieve results.
Key responsibilities of this position are noted below:
• Use exploratory data analysis techniques to identify meaningful relationships, patterns, or trends from complex data sets and discover opportunities in datasets to support decision-making
• Perform Extraction, Transformation, and Load (ETL) for a variety of datasets
• Developing data warehousing solutions
• Work on datasets with applied statistics and machine learning algorithms
• Develop predictive models and new algorithms to solve data / business problems
• Understand the math and statistics behind the models and interpret, extrapolate, and prescribe from data to deliver actionable recommendations using effective visualizations
• Visualize and communicate findings and provide a quantitative framework for evaluating and analyzing alternatives
Areas of expertise should include several of the following: Applied statistics, text mining, natural language processing, deep learning, optimization, and other similar fields.
Typically has 9 - 15 years of professional experience.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking. Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
Foundational understanding of a broad set of tools to be able to apply the right tool to each data exploration activity. Tools could include, for example:
• Implementing processing pipelines
• Descriptive and Predictive modeling
• Machine Learning (supervised and unsupervised)
• Advanced statistics and statistical modeling
• Time series analysis and forecasting
• Optimization and simulation
• Communication, story-telling and visualization
• Distributed computing (Hadoop)
• Importing, cleaning, and transforming datasets
• Data warehousing
• Critical thinking & problem-solving skills
• Proficiency with several of the following languages/areas: Python, C/C++, Java, R, SAS, Pig, Hive, Spark, MATLAB, SQL Languages: R, SAS, Python, Pig, Hive, Spark, MATLAB, SQL, web app development
• Relevant experience in applying analytics to drive business outcomes
• Statistical knowledge and experience with distributed databases, query languages, and programming with a scripting language
• Experience with a broad range of data visualization stacks
• Proficiency/mastery in many of the following languages/areas: Python, C/C++, Java, R, SAS, Pig, Hive, Spark, MATLAB, SQL Languages: R, SAS, Python, Pig, Hive, Spark, MATLAB, SQL, web app development
• Advanced degree(s) in Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Computer Science, etc.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.