Lockheed Martin System Safety Engineer Senior Staff in Huntsville, Alabama
Interested in space? Do you want to work for a company that will put astronauts on Mars, create 3D printed satellites, launch payloads that learn in orbit, or that develop national defense systems? Space technology connects millions of people around the world and we’re accelerating tomorrow’s breakthroughs to help our customers stay ahead in an ever-changing world. We’re shaping the space technologies of tomorrow, today. At Lockheed Martin Space (LM Space), we are driven by innovation and integrity. We believe that by applying the highest standards of business ethics and visionary thinking, everything is within our reach – and yours as a LM Space employee. At Space we value your skills, training, and education. Come, join us and experience your future!
We have an exciting opportunity for a System Safety Engineer to be a part of the team developing the hypersonic technology that could forever change our ability to deter and respond to conflict. Your responsibilities in this Safety Engineering role will include the following:
• Perform management reviews, and support various working groups safety review panels meetings • Support the development of safety documents to support customer, range and contract requirements • Provide safety oversight of assembly, integration and test operations • Review test procedures for adherence to system safety requirements • Generate, maintain, and execute a System Safety Program Plan (SSPP) that meets contractual, LM Space, and regulatory requirements • Identify, allocate, and flow down system safety requirements to affected system, subsystem, and component design specifications • Inform management of the residual risk associated with hazards for acceptance of the residual risk as well as dispositioning of other System Safety issues • Coordinate with Environment, Safety & Health (ESH) to integrate ESH requirements into the program safety efforts • Support program/project safety-related activities such as Functional Failure Modes and Effects Analyses (FFMEAs), critical moves, Suspended Load Operation elimination, and range safety approvals • Support program/project personnel in the reporting of incidents via Incident Reports in a timely manner
Lockheed Martin Space offers a total compensation package from competitive wages, on-site medical care, 25 three-day weekends, and healthy living incentives just to name a few reasons to join Lockheed Martin Space.
Basic Qualifications • Technical Bachelors degree with 12-14 years of professional experience
• Working knowledge/experience in either Systems Safety Engineering, Systems Engineering or related field
• Knowledge of incident investigations and root cause analysis and corrective actions implementation
• Ability to perform hazard analyses
• Ability to develop and present plans, reports and briefings for both written and oral presentations
• Able to work occasional overtime in support of weekend and off hour activities
• Proficient in the use of MS Office applications (example, Excel and PowerPoint)
• Excellent communication skills - both oral and written
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Project and Program Management disciplines
• Demonstrated leadership experience
• Demonstrated ability in developing technical baseline for Safety efforts and identifying safety critical hardware & software
• Demonstrated ability to develop and communicate project vision to leadership, Customer, and Project teams - and lead the project execution as required
• Must be a United States citizen
• Current Interim Secret and ability to obtain a Secret Security Clearance
Desired skills • Considered an authority in the System Safety Engineering discipline
• Knowledge, skills, and previous demonstrated experience in the following areas is desired: System Specifications, SOWs, Contract Data Requirements List (CDRL), and Subcontractor Data Requirements List (SDRL) documentation
• Experience with hazard identification, analysis, risk mitigation, and associated contractual deliverable documentation
• Experience providing safety oversight of assembly, integration and test operations for end-item hardware
• Demonstrated knowledge in supporting the full program life cycle system safety products and analysis (includes reviews of product systems, associated support equipment and facilities, functional specifications operations, and establishing safety requirements for assigned systems)
• Experience reviewing Test Procedures
• Experience with acceptance test requirements
• Experience performing Functional Failure Modes and Effects Analysis
• Demonstrated experience in working with DoD programs and DoD technical leads
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Location(s): Huntsville Alabama, Huntsville Pennsylvania