Lockheed Martin Staff Electro-Optical Engineer in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Description: The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space..
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to think big, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus - if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
We are searching for a Staff Electro-Optical Engineer. to join our exceptional team. In this role you will lead a team of 3-4 cross disciplinary personnel to develop a seeker subsystem for guided missile, guided artillery, and missile defense applications. This position is funded through the Strategic Missile Defense (SMD) Line of Business (LOB) in support of Advanced Programs and Hypersonic Technologies). Some of your day to day responsibilities will include:
• Manage the IR seeker development to a given budget and schedule
• Interface with other subsystem leads to specify the seeker subsystem performance and interface requirements
• Work with FPA (Focal Plane Assembly) and optical vendors to specify, procure and test key components
• Generate statements of work and specifications to issue RFPs (Request for Proposals) to vendors
• Develop and execute environmental testing to emulate desired gun launch conditions
• Support prototype development in support of component and subsystem milestone Design Reviews.
• Contribute to program reports and presentations
• Occasional support for proposal generation
• Support Independent Research and Development activities and other program activities as directed by Advanced Programs and Hypersonic Technologies program leadership
We are looking for someone who has the ability to communicate effectively and write programmatic and technical content for customer reviews, reports, and proposals. You should thrive in a dynamic, collaborative environment working with colleagues who demonstrate a similar drive for problem solving and groundbreaking work.
***This position can be located in King of Prussia, PA or Sunnyvale, CA.***
You would typically have a Bachelors degree from an accredited college in a science or engineering discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education, with 9 years of professional experience ; or 7 years with a related Masters degree; or 4 years with a related PhD.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Annual financial incentive program
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
• Bachelors in math, physics, or engineering, or closely related discipline; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience with electro-optical array based imaging systems and subsystems
• Laboratory experience optical systems or detectors
• Technical team lead experience
• Knowledge of basic systems engineering concepts (e.g. requirements decomposition, link/error budgets)
• US Citizen with the ability to obtain a Top Secret security clearance
• Active DoD secret security clearance
• Master's or PhD in math, science, engineering, or related discipline
• Experience with optical design and specifying optical components
• Prior missile, guided projectile, or missile defense experience
• Experience with photons-to-object reports analysis of imaging systems
• Familiarity with point source detection performance metrics
• Experience with environmental testing
• Subsystem integration and test expertise in one or more of these areas:
- FPGA programming (e.g. VHDL) and debugging
- Dynamics Finite Element Analysis
- High speed FPA operation and readout
- Optical Design
- Optomechanical design
- Low SWAP packaging
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.