Lockheed Martin Robotics Engineer Senior / Autonomous Systems / Littleton, CO in Littleton, Colorado
Description: Lockheed Martin's Autonomous Systems / Robotics Group located in Littleton, Colorado provides cutting edge advanced research and engineering for unmanned autonomous robotic platforms, machine vision, and collaborative operations. Our group collaborates across the entire Lockheed Martin portfolio and touches many very interesting autonomous platforms to include aeronautics / aviation systems, surface platforms, subsea platforms, military ground vehicles, and many others.
This exciting work will include developing game changing product capabilities, developing algorithms, modeling, and robotics testing which will enhance our robotics systems and unmanned autonomous platforms. Capabilities development work may include advancement of machine learning, machine vision, collaborative operations, image and signal processing, robotic controls, sensors systems, navigation, multi-int data fusion, and/or unmanned remote platforms.
The Robotics Engineer will work in an engineering and testing environment with cutting edge hardware, military vehicles, and robotics systems. The successful candidate should have experience working with robotics, autonomous systems, computer vision, and/or machine learning using a variety of software languages and tools.
The Robotics Engineer will have three main areas of focus. Firstly, the Robotics Engineer will solve complex problems which directly relate to robotics and are not typically faced by most other robotics engineers such as being unable to count on a GPS signal or having robots collaborate with each other. Secondly, the Robotics Engineer will leverage our robotics test platforms and simulation environments to perform technology assessment and develop or improve a capability towards technology maturation. Finally, the Robotic Engineer's third and major focus will be to modify and augment commercially available robotics platforms to greatly enhance their functionality through various approaches, such as adding intelligent algorithms, communications and sensing capabilities.
The Robotics Engineer will have an opportunity to collaborate with other engineering disciplines and other robotics engineers and scientists.
The Robotics Engineer will have an opportunity to attend related robotics and unmanned systems industry conferences and gain additional industry insights relating to technical advancements and best practices.
The ideal Robotics Engineer candidate should have a massive and passionate interest in robotic systems and solid software, firmware or algorithm experience from one or more of the following areas of specialization related to autonomy or robotics: unmanned autonomous platforms, machine vision, collaborative operations, machine learning, image and signal processing, tracking, Kalman filtering, robotic controls, sensors systems, navigation, multi-int data fusion, weapon systems, unmanned remote platforms, vehicle driver warning / driver assist, and/or advanced algorithm development.
Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Our group in Littleton is quite entrepreneurial and cutting edge and offers a start-up feel but also comes with the financial stability of a well-known and reputable fortune 100 US owned corporation.
We offer a continuous learning environment with strong career growth and advancement opportunities.
MFCREFER - Autonomous
• BS Degree in engineering, applied mathematics, physics, robotic systems, artificial intelligence or closely related technical field and 2 years of professional level career experience.
• Demonstrated experience in developing software, firmware or systems engineering solutions in one or more of the following areas related to autonomy or robotics: unmanned autonomous platforms, machine vision, machine learning, collaborative operations, image and signal processing, tracking, Kalman filtering, robotic controls, sensors systems, navigation, multi-int data fusion, weapon systems, unmanned remote platforms, vehicle driver warning/driver assist, advanced algorithm development.
• Experience creating and implementing effective algorithms is required.
• The ability to work effectively in a team environment is required.
• The ability to research technical engineering problems and find viable solutions is required.
• Ability to obtain a DoD secret security clearance is required so must be a US Citizen.
• Strong verbal & written communications skills are required.
• Strong collaboration skills are required.
• Experience developing software for real-time systems
• Experience developing software for simulators and test beds
• Experience integrating and testing software in complex systems
• Experience collaborating with a team using Continuous Integration practices and a distributed version control system
• Experience developing software unit tests and using unit test frameworks
• Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
• An advanced degree in engineering, mathematics, physics, robotic systems, artificial intelligence or closely related technical field is desired.
• Experience working with robots and/or robotics systems is desired.
• Experience with machine learning is desired.
• Experience with control systems, linear feedback systems, frequency domain, modern control theory and related engineering concepts is strongly desired.
• The ability to be an effective and inspiring technical lead for certain projects may be desired.
• Experience with C/C++, Python, and/or MATLAB is desired.
• Experience in developing algorithms and software in one or more of the following areas related to autonomy or robotics: unmanned autonomous platforms, machine vision, machine learning, collaborative operations, image and signal processing, tracking, Kalman filtering, robotic controls, sensors systems, navigation, multi-int fusion, weapon systems, unmanned remote platforms, vehicle driver warning/driver assist, advanced algorithm development.
• Prior experience working as a post graduate researcher in a closely related field of research would be a plus.
• Prior experience performing DARPA funded related research would be a plus.
• Prior experience working at or interacting with federally funded research and development centers (FFRDC's) or US military research labs such as NRL or AFRL in a related field would be a plus.
Relocation: Relocation assistance is possible for this exciting position.
The Locale: Just a few miles south of Denver, Littleton, Colorado, is considered an outdoorsman’s paradise and flourishing community. Littleton offers the perfect balance between city and country life. Littleton is one of the most beautiful places to live in the US with its views of the Rocky Mountains and numerous outdoor activities. The South Platte River is an excellent venue for water sports and nearby Chatfield State Park features one of the largest lakes in the area. Roxborough State Park’s beautiful red rock formations provide breathtaking views with picturesque hiking and mountain biking trails. One of the best golf courses in the area is Littleton’s 18-hole Meadows Golf Course. Where can you get to from Littleton, Colorado? Colorado Springs is just an hour to the south. Boulder, CO is just 45 minute to the northwest. Cheyenne, WY is less than 2 hours to the north. Vail, CO is just over two hours to the west.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.