Lockheed Martin Human Factors & Safety Engineer in Manassas, Virginia
Description: As a member of the Lockheed Martin C6ISR Systems Engineering Team, you can bring your Human Factors & Safety Engineering skills to good use. Perform as the Human Factors/Safety Engineer in support of various cross functional agile teams. HFE & Safety are semi-related (both disciplines are part of a classic definition of Human Systems Integration). Work with teams to resolve issues, and represent HSI design criteria to various internal and external teams. Use various HSI analysis tools and models to determine best design, product or process. Coordinate/Conduct HSI analysis and trade studies for alternative design decisions. Provide technical guidance and direction to project team members.
Specific job duties:
• Is the customer point of contact of HFE/HSI issues
• Ensure adherence to guidelines derived from MIL-HDBK-46855A, "Human Engineering Program Process and Procedures" and ASTM F-1337-91, "Standard Practice for Human Engineering Program Requirements for Ships and Marine Systems, Equipment and Facilities."
• Ensure the program Human Engineering (HE) Style & Standards Guide UI Design section is used as a guide to evaluate the acceptability of user interfaces throughout development from design through mock-up and implementation.
• Ensure that Human Engineering Analysis is performed as an integrated part of the system design. As the program requirements, operations, and workflow are analyzed, human factors implications and alternatives are considered. Human factors engineering principles and criteria are then applied to specify human-machine performance requirements for system operation, maintenance, and support functions, and to allocate system functions between manual and automated operations. As the system is further decomposed, these analyses result in detailed control and display requirements. Trade studies are conducted as necessary to determine the best human-machine interface products, optimal arrangement of controls and displays, and ergonomic arrangement.
• Ensure that Human engineering requirements are converted into detailed engineering design features during the Design Human Interfaces phase of HSI. Rapid prototyping of potential display interfaces is utilized to evaluate alternatives and business process modeling is used to streamline workflow. The HSI Engineer participates in design reviews and engineering change proposals to ensure the resulting system design is aligned to meet the human-machine performance requirements as well as any applicable human engineering design criteria.
• Ensure that HSI testing is incorporated into the system test and evaluation program and is integrated into engineering design and development tests, demonstrations, acceptance tests, and other implementation assessments. Compliance with HSI requirements is tested as early as possible. HSI findings from design reviews, mockup inspections, demonstrations, and early engineering tests such as system usability & safety are used in planning and conducting later tests.
• Ensure that the HSI engineer monitors product usage, identifying deficiencies for System Engineering to incorporate in the development of subsequent increments.
• Industrial Engineering experience
• Ergonomics expertise
• Human Factors & Safety Analysis
• Experience with GUI design of the human-computer interaction, interface to Software, how the human processes information, conducting task analysis
• Strong communication skills (both oral & written) to support regular presentations
• Strong interpersonal and team building skills
• Must be a US citizen
• Experience understanding and ability to read Engineering Drawings and Graphical User Interface (GUI) mockups
• Knowledge of ANSI/HFES 200 for additional Graphical User Interface guidance
• Knowledge of MIL-STD-882E for System Safety
• Ability to multi-task
• Experience in the support of engineering design and testing of software and hardware
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.