Lockheed Martin Mechanical Engineer, Senior in Marion, Massachusetts
Description: The candidate for this role is expected to apply mechanical engineering principles to design and then implement engineered solutions for Lockheed Martin. This role is primarily an engineering design role supporting Research and Development activity but has a strong need for Thermal Analysis, as a secondary function. The engineer will be expected to independently work on new designs and conduct the applicable Thermal Analysis to prove the design will met requirements and function in the end environment. This will include, updating, maintaining and creating TPDs and other technical documentation to support program activities, developing solid models in CREO, conducting analysis using ANSYS and interfacing with cross discipline teams locally and at sites across Lockheed Martin.
In addition, the designer will be expected to support more classical Mechanical Engineering tasking. This will include participating in design best practice efforts including FEA, thermal analysis, fluid mechanical analysis, as well as others. The position will require the individual to hold a major contributing role within the overall Engineer and Technology (E&T) organization; as such they will be expected to prepare and present materials for peer reviews, design reviews, DFMEA discussion, DFX meetings and group discussions on technical aspects of the design. The Engineer will be expected to lead the design effort for system sub-assemblies or potentially for small self-contained systems. The individual will be expected to work cross functionally within the E&T organization as well as across the company. The candidate will need to be able to work independently to complete design. Ongoing job responsibilities include:
• Perform thermal heat transfer simulations with ANSYS Icepak/Fluent, Thermal Desktop, SINDA and other CAE tools
• Perform thermal steady state and transient analysis, interpret results, prepare and present results to team.
• The thermal engineer will be asked to carry out system-level and detailed thermal design, analysis, and testing on complex electromechanical systems
• The thermal engineer will be responsible for developing geometry based thermal models, applying physical properties, accounting for critical mounting interfaces, application of dissipative heat loads, and executing thermal analyses to ensure safe operating temperature levels. The engineer will support decision making in the system design architecture and overall thermal management, evaluate/select/procure thermal control hardware, and participate in the preparation and performance of developmental and qualification testing.
• Designs components and electromechanical assemblies using commodities including sheet metal, machined components, plastics, die casting, weldments, cable harness and others.
• Provides technical experience for design and manufacturing related matters.
• Leads Mechanical design and associated program deliverables on subassemblies or small self-contained systems including DFMEA, DFX, packaging, and system testing.
• Design and release drawings to meet internal and external commitments.
• Reviews and develops product validation and verification plans at all product levels and ensure customer and internal requirements are met. Responsible for implementing this plan and identifying resources to support the plan.
• Updates program management on project progress and roadblocks.
• Conducts cost/benefit trade-off analysis and feasibility studies.
• Develop design specifications for components, assembled parts and equipment for design validation. Develop and implement new fixtures and tooling
• Demonstrate manufacturing feasibility and technical justification for selected design approach
• Support product lifecycle management ushering a product from concept through production implementation.
• Deep knowledge in fluid dynamics and heat transfer theory and highly skilled in CFD analysis with the ability to model complex systems efficiently
• Extensive familiarity with the specification and application of passive and active thermal management hardware, including heat sinks, spreaders, TIMs, and heat pipes
• Skilled in performing thermal feasibility studies; developing and contributing to conceptual designs that meet system requirements
• Advance thermal math modeling using Thermal Desktop, ANSYS Mechanical, CFD, SINDA, and ANSYS Icepak software tools is a plus.
• Expert with CREO design software.
• Knowledge of several additional areas of Mechanical Design Analysis
• Led Thermal Testing, both operational and non-operational
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Project, Visio, Project, Outlook).
• Ability to travel up to 15%, both international and domestic.
• ANSYS experience
• Experience with developing hardware for marine applications
• Experience with HALT/HASS Testing and MIL-STD-810
• Expert knowledge of design analysis tools like FEA and thermal analysis.
• Ability and willingness to work on multiple projects at one time and be able to adapt to changing priorities.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment and excel in a self-directed work environment as well as within a cross functional team.
• Experience with CM tools as well as writing and implementing Change Notices and Change Requests
• Experience with DFMEA and DFX
• Good Oral and written communication skills.
• Analytical and demonstrated problem solving skills.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.