Lockheed Martin Optical Scientist in Owego, New York
Description: Lockheed Martin Advanced Integrated Products/Laser & Sensor Systems is seeking an Optical Scientist to support innovative optics development for High Power Laser and other Laser Development Programs. Lockheed Martin is a recognized leader in the design and development of high power lasers for Directed Energy and other forward-looking applications. The business is expanding our core competency beyond R&D laser technology into production laser systems. This change is creating new careers and product opportunities. Our group offers the stability and prestige of a fortune 100 company in a family-friendly and central-located Upstate New York location.
This self-motivated, collaborative, process-oriented and energetic Optical Scientist will help push the state of the art in optical technologies for the stated applications. The ideal candidate will have experience designing, specifying and testing high precision optics. Expertise is required in one or more technical areas including in thin film structures, optical materials, surface polish and figure, diffractive optics, nanostructures and non-linear optics. Experience and knowledge of ultralow loss optics for high power lasers is highly beneficial. Additionally, experience with the effects of contamination and defects on optics exposed to very high power densities (CW and pulsed) is desired.
As part of a diverse and talented team, the candidate will be expected to become an expert in specialty optics for laser development and applications. The candidate must understand the requirements for the optics, perform modeling calculations and define specifications for optics manufacturing. The candidate will collaborate with external and internal suppliers to manufacture and test optics. An understanding of optical processing methods is an important element of this role as the successful Optical Scientist will be a bridge between the laser designers and optics manufacturers.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to designing and specifying optics, reviewing test data, and signing off on performance and quality of optics for delivery on major programs. Additional responsibilities will be proposal writing and seeking external funding sources for advanced optics research and development.
NOTE: Work location is Owego, NY.
• MS or PhD in Optics, Physics, Applied Physics, Chemistry or Electrical Engineering with 5+ years of experience
• Experience with one or more of the following subject areas - thin film structures, optical materials, surface polish and figure, diffractive optics, nanostructures and non-linear optics
• Ability to perform optical performance modeling calculations and define specifications for optics manufacturing
• Familiarity with test methods for high precision optics and optics exposed to high power densities.
• Self-motivated, collaborative, process-oriented and energetic
• Strong communicator who can express ideas clearly to non-optical teammates and management
Other considerations: Must be a US Citizen and capable of qualifying for a security clearance. Job location is in Owego, NY.
• Experience with thin film design and test
• Experience with stereolithography
• Understanding and experience with determining laser damage threshold
• Understanding of contamination and relationship to laser damage
• Methods for determining ultra-low absorption and optical substrates and coatings
• Experience with design and characterization of thin-film coatings
• Experience in the characterization and use of fiber laser systems
• Experience in cleaning and handling of micro-structured optics
Experience designing high precision optics
• Experience with ultralow loss optics for high power lasers
• Experience with test methods for high precision optics and optics exposed to high power densities
• Understanding of optical processing methods
• Demonstrated ability to extend knowledge across technical disciplines and improve results
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.