Lockheed Martin Autonomous Systems Senior Staff Research Scientist (Advanced Technology Center) in Palo Alto, California
Description: The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Our culture encourages employees to dream big, perform with excellence and create incredible products. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus and if you have the passion and courage to dream big, we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
As an acting member of the Electro-mechanical, Autonomy and Robotics department, you would support the transformational change that autonomy will bring to the Space industry.
Come be a thought leader in research and technology development encompassing multiple engineering disciplines, such as in Autonomous Systems/Algorithm/Software development, AI, Robotics, electronics and mechanical systems in relation to Space applications.
You would lead business development activities including customer shaping engagements, white paper, RFI and proposal generation for Autonomous Systems, AI and Robotics in Space applications for DOD and NASA customers and drive collaborations with top tier Universities.
Typically has 12 years of professional experience with a related Masters degree; or 9 years of professional experience with a related PhD
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
1) Education: PhD degree or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or closely related field with 8+/12+ years of experience in the aerospace/automation industry.
2) Expert in the applications of Artificial Intelligence or Autonomous Systems technologies (e.g., Deep Learning, Machine Learning) to sensing, perception, multi-unit planning or command and control of autonomous systems
3) Proven experience with the ability to develop new research ideas in autonomy and robotics as demonstrated by a strong publication record and development of working system prototypes.
4) Experience with, and knowledge of Systems Engineering aspects of requirements decomposition, testing and Verification and Validation, at the systems level.
5) Exposure to common spacecraft platforms and associated technologies, such as orbital dynamics, fundamentals of Electro-Optical (EO) and Radio Frequency (RF) sensing, optimization and optical payloads
6) Strong experience evaluating novel technologies, fast prototyping, feasibility studies, specification and implementation of product components
7) Advance the state-of-the-art, including generating patents and publications in top journals and conferences.
8) Strong experience leading and writing funding proposals for research grants/programs.
9) Proficiency in the following programming languages: C++, Python, Matlab, Java, Gazebo or similar
10) Strong technical writing, presentation and overall communication skills for reports, proposals, technical presentations, and interaction with customers, team members, suppliers, and academic/industry collaborators.
11) US Citizen with the ability to obtain security clearance
1) Exposure with, or experience in, tools methods for Verification and Validation of complex or autonomous systems, such as Formal Methods, Assume/Guarantee reasoning, edge case scenario design, sensitivity analysis, etc.
2) Experience with training and training set generation for Neural Networks (Python and Tensorflow)
3) Experience with analysis, modeling and simulation of complex systems with black-box software components
4) Complex control of manipulators, high-degree of freedom coordination and advanced mobility technologies experience.
5) Knowledge of sensing, planning and algorithms related to Autonomous Rendezvous, Proximity Operations and Docking.
6) RTOS experience.
7) Implementing augmented and virtual reality technologies for robotic applications experience.
8) Understanding of Counter Autonomy and AI.
9) Intimate relationships with customers from DOD Research Labs, AFRL, DARPA, or NASA Research Centers
10) Knowledge of Resiliency for space architectures, sensors, system timing, and actuators in terms of autonomous response to threats.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.