Lockheed Martin Director for Artificial Intelligence and Data Analytics in Palo Alto, California
Description: The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the Advanced Technology Center (ATC), we are the research labs for Lockheed Martin Space. Innovation extends beyond incremental change, and we push for first-of-a-kind capability with disruptive impact. Whatever the application, our charter is to create game-changing technologies. The ATC creates foundational technologies that inspire, protect and connect our world. We continue to evolve and lead in new realms, and we’re leading change in our endless pursuit of what’s next. And now, we are looking for you to lead the way as our Director for Artificial Intelligence and Data Analytics (AI&DA).
This is a unique opportunity to develop AI & Data Analytics technologies that enable a new era of remote sensing, space exploration, precision navigation, protected communications, and missile defense. You will drive technology development and transition into our products delivering meaningful and measurable impact to Lockheed Martin and our customers. The establishment of this role is a statement of our dedication to technology development in these critical areas.
In this newly developed role, you will define strategy and manage a team of approximately 50 scientists and technologists in the development of novel technologies and capabilities in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Data Analytics and Phenomenology. These areas are experiencing exponential growth with a commensurate impact to LM Space business and the industry overall. We will look to you to drive the development of technology that enable product roadmaps. You will create an environment in which we can attract, hire and develop top technical talent who will advance state-of-the-art technologies while developing key discriminators for our business. You will work closely with customers in the Science and Technology community to shape new Contract Research and Development (CRAD) opportunities, partner with Universities and small business and will collaborate within the Corporation and Space to transition technologies into products.
Some major responsibilities will include:
• Supporting the various lines of business within Lockheed Martin Space through technology development and insertion, deployment of subject matter experts, program execution and new business pursuits;
• Leading the execution and performance of programs supported by the organization;
• Defining the direction for technology trust and investment;
• Planning and executing independent R&D projects (IRAD);
• Strengthening the pursuit and execution of contract development and research projects (CRAD) and;
• Hiring and developing talent to augment our extraordinary R&D team.
We want a forward-thinking leader with a history of demonstrated leadership in solving technical challenges combined with proven effectiveness in mentorship and cultivating employee career development. You exhibit excellent interpersonal, communication, administrative, and presentation skills, and a validated Two-Way communication style with exceptional closure. You should be located in or be willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area, CA. Travel will be required in this role.
Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires people to think big, perform with excellence, build incredible products and serve missions of national importance? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus - if you have the passion, creativity and courage, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin cultivates an inclusive work environment that supports differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
• Proven knowledge and experience in the areas of Artificial Intelligence, Autonomous Systems, Machine Learning, Data Analytics and Phenomenology.
• Master's in Computer Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or closely related field.
• US Citizen with the ability to obtain TS/SCI Clearance
• Minimum of 5+ years of demonstrated successful leadership and management skills of technical personnel
• Known and respected in the technical professional community for expertise above noted areas. Specifically, as they apply to aerospace systems, such as: Remote sensing, space exploration, precision navigation, protected communications, and strategic and missile defense.
• Strong mentoring skills, with excellent interpersonal skills and focus on personnel and talent development.
• Strong customer focus and connections with the science and technology community.
• Ability and willingness to pursue new business development.
• PhD in Computer Sciences, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent field is preferred.
• Current TS/SCI clearance
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.