Lockheed Martin Electro-Optical Engineer Senior in Palo Alto, California
Description: Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Center (ATC) is seeking a candidate to lead the optical development and test activities of interferometric imaging systems. In this role, the candidate should be comfortable testing advanced optical systems in lab and field setting. The candidate will be responsible for communicating status with key internal and external stakeholders, and leading optical subsystem development, integration, and test activities.
Specific duties include:
- Develop system concepts, particularly high resolution imaging systems and systems with small SWaP (size, weight and power), and the systems with which to test them
- Conduct radiometric and complex visibility analysis to predict system SNR
- Model diffraction through turbulent atmosphere to predict optical delay fluctuations, and design appropriate optical delay compensation systems
- Stay current on the latest development in interferometry and imaging, and apply them to solve our customer's problems
- Operate an advanced imaging interferometer, including collection of complex visibility data
- Assemble, integrate, and test optical subsystems
- Collect and analyze systems test data
- Troubleshoot electro-optical issues and those arising from field testing a prototype system
- Prepare parts specifications and evaluate vendor offerings
- Prepare contributions to briefing and reports to internal and external stakeholders
- Bachelor's degree in Optics, physics, astronomy, engineering or similar discipline with an emphasis to interferometric imaging
- Experience with optical systems and operation and alignment, including meeting tight alignment tolerances
- Experience with radiometric and complex visibility analysis for SNR modeling
- Experience with optical ray tracing in Zemax or similar
- Experience with waveguide coupling and Fourier optics modeling in Matlab or similar
- Experience with imaging cameras
- Experience with optical cleaning methods and techniques
- Experience working with vendors to procure optical components
- Experience with standard electro-optic test equipment, including power meters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, spectrum analyzers, etc
- Ability to communicate effectively with a multi-disciplinary team
- Master's or PhD in Optics, Physics, Astronomy, engineering with emphasis in interferometric imaging
- Demonstrated experience with interferometric imaging systems
- Experience modeling diffraction of wavefronts through turbulent atmosphere
- Experience using phase retrieval to recover system aberrations and misalignment
- Experience building interferometric beam combiners and spectrographs
- Demonstrated optical system field test experience
- Experience with adaptive optics
- Experience with Solidworks or similar CAD, sufficient to generate tested assemblies from COTS parts models, and to design custom jigs and interfaces
- Experience with exact constraints, and working closely with mechanical engineers in the design for alignment of systems with tight tolerances
- Experience designing AWGs, MMIs and layout of photonic integrated circuits using Phoenix, Lumerical, or similar.
- Demonstrated leadership of a multi-disciplinary engineering
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.