Lockheed Martin Research Science Mgr in Palo Alto, California
Description: Perform as the Manager of Electro-Optical Technology (EOT) for the Technology Development (TD) directorate of the Advanced Technology Center (ATC). The successful candidate will be a part of the ATC management team reporting into the TD directorate and be responsible for the successful staffing and execution of a broad optics, photonics, and laser based program portfolio. The Manager will own a subset of this portfolio and execute activites in support of the Space Systems Company (SSC), the Corporation, and external customers. The Manager will work with SSC lines of businesses (LOBs), the Optical Center of Excellence (OPCoE), other TD leaders, the Financial and Business Operations group, and the Business Development team to execute these activities.
- Ensure staffing and execution of existing programs within the ATC as well as in the LOBs
- Train and mentor technical staff. Hold staff meetings and ensure that staff are on track with compliance and Ethics training
- Responsible for hiring, evaluating and development of team members.
- Ensure successful cost, schedule and technical performance of select EOT programs
- Serve as program management lead on select activities and as capture manager on select pursuits.
- Develop technical proposals
- Support in management of IRAD and overhead budgets
This position will be located in the Palo Alto, CA area.
Desired Skills: - Master's or Ph.D in physics, optics, applied physics or electrical engineering
- Business area expert in optics, photonics, lasers, or optical remote sending
- Experience developing flight-qualified and space-qualified hardware, systems and payloads
- Prior experience executing business capture through all phases: customer engagement and opportunity shaping, to proposal generation and submittal
- Strong mentoring skills and experience managing groups of 10-20 individuals
- Active TS/SCI clearance
- Bachelor's degree in science or engineering field with an optics focus
- Understanding of design and development of optical and electro-optical systems an their use in applications such as: laser radar, active and passive remote sensing, imaging, hyperspectral imaging, interferometric imaging, directed energy, electronic warfare, optical communications, spectroscopy and atomic and molecular physics.
- Had prior experience as a team lead working with a variety of disciplines (optical designers, optical system engineers, optical-mechanical engineers, S/W, pointing and control engineers) to design and deliver an optical system
- Demonstrated ability to lead and direct technical efforts of others in a collaborative engineering environment
- Ability to work with internal and external stakeholders to resolve issues and convey technical information
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.