Lockheed Martin HPC Software Engineer in Springfield, Virginia
Description: At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Do you want to be part of a culture that inspires employees to think big, perform with excellence and build incredible products? We provide the resources, inspiration and focus - if you have the passion and courage to dream big, then we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
Lockheed Martin provides High Performance Computing (HPC) services throughout the HPC lifecycle for computational requirements, architecture, acquisition, and operations to federal government customers. Our employees embrace innovation and are committed to a culture of continuous, standards-driven process improvement and assimilation of industry best methodologies. The program provides key supercomputing capabilities for solving important problems in science and technology. The program is involved in efforts to develop scientific software and libraries for HPC platforms. This work involves working on cutting edge HPC technologies to ensure that scientists and engineers will be able to fully utilize modern HPC systems.
We are seeking an HPC Applications Engineers for our Technical User Support (TUS) group on the HPC contract in Herndon, VA.
You will be an active member of the TUS team, interacting with the team, TUS team lead, program Chief Scientist, Customers, users, and site staff.
The TUS team is responsible for working with HPC users to achieve faster "time to science". You will work closely with the users to port, optimize, and parallelize codes to the users’ requirements.
You are involved in system performance analysis through benchmarking, tuning libraries, and generally focused on scientific modeling, numerical processes, and other scientific software issues. You will investigate, analyze and make recommendations regarding user codes and other HPC software issues.
This includes understanding the best use practices needed to take full advantage of the program’s HPC resources, research storage systems, and secure computing environment. You are also responsible for helping users adapt to a production shared resource, its scheduling system, and its high-performance data storage systems.
An individual should have demonstrated his/her problem-solving ability.
Some of your day to day responsibilities will include:
• Working with users one-on-one to support their software conversion, optimization, and parallelization requirements. In addition, you will be involved in HPC software - system performance and benchmarking efforts in an highly flexible environment
• Write and shepherd scalable features designs through the entire software development process, from requirements and use cases to delivering product
• You will apply cutting edge practices in software engineering, delivering projects on time and with excellent quality
• Providing support to staff and end users to resolve issues
• Modify existing software to correct errors and/or improve performance
We are looking for someone with demonstrated successful team and relationship building skills across multiple organizational boundaries. You would be someone who identifies as a self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills. This includes proven interpersonal skills with both experts and non-experts. You should also thrive in a dynamic, inter-disciplinary, environment.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• You will have proficiency in one or more of the following: FORTRAN, C, or C/C++, Python and shell scripting
• Superior programming skills and excellent attention to detail
• You will have the Ability to acquire TS/SCI
• Excellent organization skills to balance, prioritize work, and ability to multitask
• Excellent time management and organizational skills
• Excellent communication and people skills to communicate with support personnel, customer, and managers
• Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering (focus on EM), Chemistry, or other closely related STEM degree required plus 5 years of experience
• A minimum of 5 years of experience developing system software in heterogeneous, multi-platform environments
• A minimum of 3 years of Linux/UNIX user experience
• OpenMP and/or Pthreads and MPI experience
• Experience with revision control software (e.g. CVS, SVN, Git, etc.)
• Experience with a variety of build/install tools (e.g. CMake, Makefile, autoconf)
• Strong ability to analyze, debug and maintain the integrity of an existing code base (experience with Intel Vtune Amplifier a d Advisor, Totalview, Valgrind, etc.)
• Familiarity with High Performance Computing (HPC) environment and related technologies
• Experience with HPC technologies, such as node-level parallelism, multi-threading or GPU acceleration
• Visualization experience
• Geometry modeling (ACAD, Cubit, Capstone, etc.) experience
• Data analysis/AI experience
• Solid understanding of the software development process including requirements, use cases, design, coding, documentation and testing of scalable, distributed applications in a Linux environment.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.