Lockheed Martin Director, External Communications in Sunnyvale, California
Description: The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Our culture encourages employees to think big, perform with excellence and create incredible products. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus and if you have the passion and courage to dream big, we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
We’re looking for a dynamic, strategic leader to oversee a talented PR and marketing communications team and tell the story of Lockheed Martin’s breakthrough innovations in space. The Director of External Communications will shape the corporation’s brand in the space arena by defining and driving communications strategy, leading high-impact campaigns, and serving as chief spokesperson. For 60 years, Lockheed Martin’s 18,000-person, $9.8 billion Space business has been a leader in space exploration, national security satellites, strategic missiles, commercial satellites and advanced research and development.
This position will lead a group of talented media relations professionals as well as a marketing communications team spanning digital and social media, advertising and trade shows. The External Communications Director will oversee all elements of PR and marketing, collaborate with and advise senior business leaders to shape strategy, handle crisis communications, manage budgets and resources, and lead employee development and encourage innovation and disruptive new approaches in the communications discipline.
This position will be based in Denver, CO or Sunnyvale, CA, and will report to the Vice President of Communications for Lockheed Martin Space.
• Conceptualize and lead high-impact communications campaigns that differentiate Lockheed Martin’s capabilities in space and advanced strategic business goals.
• Create and deliver compelling messages for media and marketing channels that advance thought leadership on key issues in space.
• Advise senior leaders and executive leadership across the business on communications strategy and messaging.
• Lead the implementation of innovations to embrace new technologies, new channels, and new media to tell our story in inspiring and meaningful ways.
• Build and manage relationships with tier one reporters covering the industry, pitch and oversee executive-level media interviews, and serve as chief media spokesperson for the Space business.
• Oversee marketing communications strategy for paid, shared and owned media including social media, web, trade shows, special events, sponsorships and advertising.
• Lead and develop a high-performing team of communications professionals.
• Direct the management of budgets and resources for marketing, staffing and PR.
• Work closely with Corporate Communications to contribute to enterprise-wide efforts and advance space-related campaigns and programs.
• Partner with Government Affairs and Business Development to define an annual communications plan that advances business goals and reaches strategic audience segments.
• Define and implement a cohesive metrics strategy to track, measure and improve performance of marketing initiatives.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
• Experience commensurate with the level of this position in public relations and marketing at a senior leader or executive level.
• Strong strategic and enterprise mindset, experience serving as a strategic, trusted advisor to senior executives of a company/corporation.
• Demonstrated track record of leading strategic communications campaigns that deliver business results.
• Experience in all aspects of external communications, including crisis communications, media relations, social media, trade shows, advertising and collateral.
• A full spectrum leader who can deliver results, shape the future, build effective relationships, energize the team, and model personal excellence, integrity, and accountability.
• Experience in the space industry, aerospace, defense and /or high-tech a plus.
• International marketing and/or public relations experience.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.