Lockheed Martin High Energy Laser Optical Engineer in Sunnyvale, California
Description: The Optical Payload Center of Excellence at Lockheed Martin Space is seeking an intermediate-level optical engineer to support high energy laser (HEL) programs. Robust HEL experience is an advantage, but the position is also open to those with working familiarity with HELs, a strong foundation, and a keen interest in directed energy systems. Responsibilities of this technical role include design, analysis, fabrication, test, and operation of optical elements for high energy laser weapons and long-range laser radars, predominantly for defense and national security customers. These elements include multi-wavelength mirrors, beam splitters, aperture sharing elements, lens assemblies, and beam director systems capable of handling high power continuous and pulsed laser energy as well as associated tracking and beam control/stabilization signals. This position calls for an individual contributor (IC) who will work under the supervision of senior engineers, and provides a career growth path to emerge as a senior IC or team lead within a few years. You will be joining a world-class team of high energy beam control experts at Lockheed Martin Space, the makers of the strategic, megawatt-class Airborne Laser Beam Control System and more recently, the maker of ATHENA, a transportable prototype laser weapon of tactical range that successfully shot down 5 out of 5 unmanned aerial vehicles at White Sands, NM.
• Optical design experience with industry standard tools such as Zemax and Code V.
• Strong quantitative skills and possession of a solid foundation in optical engineering.
• Experience with laser systems and familiarity with HEL systems and active EO systems.
• Ability based on experience to generate optical design drawings, notes, and specifications to provide to optical suppliers.
• Ability to work with opto-mechanical designers to iterate and close on design solutions that meet system requirements-including packaging.
• Knowledge and experience with manufacturing methods of individual optics, and alignment methods of assemblies, including optical shop testing methods such as interferometry, and other metrology.
• Advanced degree in Optical Science, Physics, or Engineering with research and or laboratory experience in laser and electro-optical systems
• Experience with HEL systems or long range active EO sensing systems.
• Proposal writing experience
• Ability to innovate and create intellectual property, demonstrated by patents, new products, or publications
• Experience with Optical Design Tolerance Analysis due to mechanical loads, thermal effects, manufacturing and alignment errors.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.