Lockheed Martin Systems Engineer, GN&C Technical Advisor, entry level in Sunnyvale, California
Description: The coolest jobs on this planet… or any other… are with Lockheed Martin Space.
At the dawn of a new space age, Lockheed Martin is a pioneer, partner, innovator and builder. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the worlds’ hardest engineering problems. Our culture encourages employees to dream big, perform with excellence and create incredible products. We provide the resources, inspiration and focus and if you have the passion and courage to dream big, we want to build a better tomorrow with you.
The Systems Engineer / Guidance, Navigation & Controls (GN&C )Technical Advisor is considered the day-to-day subject matter expert on Guidance Controls and is therefore expected to acquire in-depth knowledge of the functions (stated below*) and is responsible for the daily state of health and operability of the GN&C components. The Systems Engineer / GN&C Technical Advisor:
- works closely with and relies on the GN&C CPE as required to resolve all GN&C issues outside their expertise.
- must support each GEO space vehicle's operations from factory integration and test until decommission
- supports all pre-launch readiness rehearsals, development of command products, launch and early orbit test support, DITL testing, documenting operational processes, product delivery, identifying requirements for and support execution of GN&C flight objectives
- provides real-time engineering direction for GN&C problem and anomaly resolution
- performs post-pass analysis of vehicle telemetry to trend GN&C hardware characteristics
- works closely with the Satellite Systems Engineering group at the Mission Control Station and writes memograms instructing the Mission Control Station on satellite vehicle operation changes
- identifies and assists in implementing changes to improve GN&C performance and developing tools and techniques to perform subsystem analysis
- may be required to travel (likely a few trips per year)
*The Guidance Navigation and Controls (GN&C) Subsystem, along with the Flight Software Subsystem, controls the satellite attitude during all phases of flight. The GN&C Subsystem also controls the Deployable Light Shade (DLS) that shades the optical system from direct sunlight near local midnight. Attitude reference is obtained by two Star Tracker Assemblies (STAs) and a Gyro System, the latter being part of the Payload. When the Payload is fully on, the Scanner IR sensor observes stars that are in the on-board star catalog and provides their location measurements to the on-orbit Payload Attitude Reference System (PARS), which provides a Kalman filter to smooth star measurements and Gyro data to predict the actual attitude at all times.
Typically has 0 - 3 years of professional experience.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
Desired Skills: - Aerospace Engineering degree with knowledge of satellite design and operations
- Launch and Early Orbit Test (L&EOT) execution of military satellites
- Experience interfacing with remote satellite operation sites
- Understanding of satellite fault management systems: response, root cause analysis, and resolution
- Customer relations and interfaces
- Familiarity with C++, UNIX, Matlab, Satellite Tool Kit (STK), Satellite Control Language, and the Microsoft Office Suite
- Active Secret clearance
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.