Lockheed Martin R&D Engineer – Autonomy & Robotics in Virginia
Description: This position is for an R&D Engineer in the Robotics & Intelligent Systems Group at Lockheed Martin’s Advanced Technology Laboratories (LM ATL). LM ATL is the advanced research facility of Lockheed Martin Corporation – a global enterprise with core businesses in systems integration, space, aeronautics, and technology services. The mission of the Advanced Technology Laboratories is to develop new technologies and perform applied research that will enhance Lockheed Martin’s competitive edge.
Advances in Robotics & Autonomy are poised to have a transformational impact on society – from navigating in the depths of the sea to completing highly demanding missions in the farthest reaches of our galaxy.
The R&D Engineer will
• Develop, prototype and demonstrate autonomy technologies for a variety of projects in unmanned systems for air, land and maritime operations.
• Perform rapid prototyping and mechatronic, hardware and software design in support of new research in autonomy and unmanned vehicle systems
• Show a great deal of creativity in hands-on implementation of mechatronic hardware/software solutions for a variety of projects
• Support field testing of unmanned systems in operationally relevant environments, preferably including an ability to act as safety pilot when needed
• Support autonomy algorithms implementation and demonstration on real hardware platforms
Demonstrable experience executing on complex robotics and autonomy R&D projects is a plus.
• BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics or related technical disciplines
• At least 1 year work experience or prior co-op/internships in practical, hands-on projects that require creativity in mechatronic designs for autonomous unmanned systems operating in air, land and maritime domains
• Hands-on experience designing, building, maintaining, repairing and field testing autonomous and/or remote controlled vehicles, especially aircraft; providing a working familiarity with typical construction techniques, materials, and electronic components.
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Algorithm design experience in some mix of the following: C/C++, Java, Python, Matlab/Simulink
• Experience in developing & implementing autonomy algorithms
• M.S. degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics or related technical disciplines
• Experience with robotics & autonomy architectures such as Robot Operating System (ROS) and MOOS
• Algorithm design expertise in some mix of C/C++, Java, Python, Matlab/Simulink
• Proficiency in CAD/CAM, circuit board design and layout (e.g. Eagle), and 3-D printing.
• Experience with both additive and subtractive manufacturing and other workshop tools and fabrication techniques such as composite construction techniques
• Understanding of electronics and microcontrollers
• RC vehicle experience
• FAA Part 107 remote pilot certificate
• State boating license
• Must have the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.