Lockheed Martin Senior Manager of Business Development, West Africa in Virginia
Description: The individual will be responsible to direct the establishment, implementation, and maintenance of the policies and procedures concerning the marketing area for activities conducted on an international basis. Additionally, will be responsible for coordinating subordinate employee recruitment, selection and training, performance assessment, work assignments, salary, and recognition/disciplinary actions.
The person in this role will be responsible to promote the LM brand across all levels, establish relationship with Senior Stakeholders in the Government and Military, understand the procurement and industrial landscape of the host country, and support the Business Areas in the qualification and successful pursuit of new business in the region. The individual will also be responsible for a selected number of countries in the Region.
The role requires deep understanding and ability to navigate government decision processes related to procurement of defence and security products and services. Key customer and stakeholder efforts will include national level departments such as; Ministry of National Defence, Ministry of Economy and Development, Ministry of Foreign Affairs national Industry and US Embassy Country Teams. The position will also seek to establish relationships with government entities, industry associations and economic development organizations as well as Academia, that can support new business opportunities and/or impact national and strategic level pursuits.
The person in this role must be able to establish and grow relationships with strategic level contacts to enhance LM access to opportunities and knowledge of customer requirements. Must also be able to effectively communicate Lockheed Martin positions in support of our business interests and branding. Will direct the participation in presales or sales meetings to review proposed plans. Functions as liaison between regional sales and marketing function. May direct and/or initiate sales analysis affecting distribution, spending as it relates to volume, brand promotional strategy, and selling tools.
• Represent the organizational unit as prime internal and external contact on contracts and operations. Conduct briefings and technical meetings for top management, customer and government representatives. Interact with equivalent and senior level management concerning matters of great significance to the Corporation.
• Provide input into current and long range business strategies to enhance LM’s position in the national and regional marketplace.
• Co-ordinate with Business Area business development teams to develop and communicate strategic messages with key stakeholders for Lockheed Martin business pursuits and branding.
• Support high level capture campaigns with a focus on national level government stakeholders’ priorities and concerns.
• Establish organizational policies in a major segment of the company. Interpret, execute, and recommend modifications to company-wide policies.
• Responsible for the successful operation of activities of major significance to the organization and office(s) of reponsibility. Develop and manage overall budgets for the office(s) of responsibility, schedules, and performance standards including new business investment, sponsorship and corporate social responsibility activities
• Prepare periodic reporting of business development status to senior management at group and business reviews
• Represent Lockheed Martin in national and regional industry associations.
• As necessary, supervise activities and agreements for consultants supporting Lockheed Martin in the countries assigned.
• Coordinate subordinate employee recruitment, selection and training, performance assessment and work assignments
• Ability to travel to West Africa approximately 50% of the time, with travel to other locations as needed
• Bachelors degree from an accredited University in Engineering, Economics, International Relations
• Seasoned professional with demonstrated experience and success in sales and marketing in the Defence industry, and experience with the African market
• Experience with Lockheed Martin’s Capture Process/ Win Plan
• Deep understanding of the regional political dynamics and international relationships, and ability to operate in a multi-cultural environment
• Strong understanding of Lockheed Martin portfolio and related technologies
• Strong consultative selling skills – proven ability to identify and build strong relationships that can influence decision makers; deep understanding of competitive intelligence and ability to represent compelling differentiation through pinpointing value added opportunities to meet client needs
• Strong ability to recognize and understand client structure and processes in order to successfully manage/influence/communicate
• Fluent in English language
• Related Masters degree or PhD
• Operational (military or civilian) experience will be considered an advantage
• Broad multi-disciplined experience (Engineering, Business Development) and excellent understanding of Government and Military relationship, supporting areas of Defence, Intelligence and Security
• Experience with other regions and large military and political international organisations relevant to Africa (NATO, EU, GCC)
• Proven experience engaging with Senior stakeholders in the government and the Armed Forces
• Proven ability to work with other Industry, and engage with management across different levels
• Experience working with Academia
• Speaking basic Arabic and French would be a key advantage
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.