Lockheed Martin Senior R&D Engineer – Collaborative Autonomy & Robotics in Virginia
Description: This position is for a Senior R&D Engineer in the Robotics & Intelligent Systems Group at Lockheed Martin’s Advanced Technology Laboratories (LM ATL). Breakthrough performance. Game-changing innovations. Unwavering sense of purpose. Headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that employs approximately 98,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. LM ATL is the advanced research facility of Lockheed Martin. The mission of the Advanced Technology Laboratories is to develop new technologies and perform applied research that will enhance Lockheed Martin’s competitive edge and deliver security solutions to our nation and allies.
Advances in Autonomy, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML) are on the cusp of having a transformational impact on society – from navigating the depths of the sea to completing highly demanding missions in outer space and in cyber space. We are growing our areas of research to lead technology advances in unmanned systems (UxVs) and manned-unmanned teams (MUM-T) operating across all domains – undersea, sea surface, ground, air, space and cyber.
The Senior R&D Engineer will
• Lead the development of new applied research in AI/ML, robotics & autonomy for both internal and external projects, working in collaboration with LM ATL colleagues and world-class academic researchers, national labs and other advanced technology organizations.
• Develop and foster research funding opportunities in coordinated multi-UxV control, collaborative autonomy, artificial perception, and advanced AI/ML techniques for effective interaction between UxV teams and humans or manned platforms – i.e. MUM-T.
• Advance the state of the art and develop and demonstrate new technologies in relevant operational environments - as team lead and as key contributor to project teams
• Stay engaged in the wider research community, understanding emerging trends in technologies to enable development of discriminating capabilities for LM ATL
The selected candidate will also have demonstrable experience leading complex robotics and autonomy R&D projects, and will be a highly motivated individual with an entrepreneurial mindset and a strong record of leading successful proposals and execution on contract R&D (CRAD) and/or advanced technology development programs with U.S. government Science & Technology organizations such as DARPA/IARPA/ONR/AFRL and/or the Intelligence Community.
• MS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics or related technical disciplines
• At least 3 years of experience leading proposals for and executing on CRAD and advanced technology development programs.
• Research experience and/or strong academic concentration (e.g. thesis) in developing and implementing autonomy and AI/ML algorithms for UxVs, especially for adaptive multi-UxV planning, coordinated control, distributed estimation and control in UxV networks, communications management and distributed information management for autonomous robotic systems, artificial perception (particularly for vision-based systems), sensor data fusion, or collaborative autonomy involving teams of UxVs and humans or teams of manned and unmanned platforms (MUM-T).
• Strong demonstrated communication skills and experience presenting and conveying focused messages to internal/external stakeholders and customers.
• Software and algorithms development skills in C/C++, Java, Python and Matlab/Simulink
• Ph.D. degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics or related technical disciplines
• Expert experience in developing and demonstrating collaborative and adaptive autonomy schemes using modern tools from AI/ML, autonomy and systems and control.
• Track record of leading R&D programs as Principal Investigator
• Strong network and professional visibility and relationships at U.S. government Science & Technology organizations, universities, national labs, and other advanced technology organizations
• Experience with robotics & autonomy frameworks such as ROS and MOOS-IvP
• Strong oral and written communication skills as evidenced by proposals, published articles and presentations at conferences and seminars
• Excellent interpersonal skills as evidenced by a record of shaping and influencing internal and external stakeholders on projects
• Strong team leadership skills, demonstrated on R&D project teams
• Strong software development skills in C/C++, Java, Python and Matlab/Simulink
• Must have the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.